Monday, June 21, 2010

YO SOY ESPAÑOL, ESPAÑOL, ESPAÑOL!

Well last night was pretty low key. I went to church (the same one I have been to in the past). However, when I got there they were doing the finishing prayer (though I only arrived about 10 minutes later than the normal time). They had a special concert that night so the service had started earlier, which we did not know. Still the best part was that as the minister was praying... I understood so much more! I felt like I was actually PRAYING instead of translating! It was phenomenal! Then we visited a little with our amigos from the church and stayed for the first half of the concert (a small choir and orquestra). It was beautiful. I love hearing music in Spanish, and other languages for that matter. Afterwards we made plans with our friends for the big fútbol game and headed out to El Tigre. I had been there before, but the girls had not and it is worth a second trip. I may have already said this, but tapas bars should be brought to the US. At El Tigre, it's crowded, loud, and noisy, and you stand up to eat. However, for the price of one drink you get a free plate of tapas large enough to share. It is phenomenal. Last night we tried there sidra.... SO GOOD! It was better than La Casa Mingo where I was obsessed with it. (Spanish champagne, "cider"). Anyways, after that we really wanted to try to watch a movie in Spanish at the movie theater, however when we arrived we had missed the last showing. A bit defeated, and poor Courtney in pain after having her toe nail ripped off and massive blister popped, we decided to plop down outside the theater. As we were talking this very nicely dressed man comes up to us... still we are always a big guarded when strange men come up at night in the street. He sensed this and started making fun of us a little and talking in English. He was from Nigeria and said he could tell we were Americans and just wanted to talk with us because he loves Americans. So we chatted with Everest Emmanuel for about 30 minutes. We talked a little about Nigeria and his and our experiences here in Spain. He has been here for six years. He truly just wanted to talk, it was refreshing. I of course then asked him if I could asked a personal question. I told him I had seen in the paper some racist drawings on walls etc. and I wanted his opinion (yes he is black.) He said he really did not feel and kind of prejudices in Madrid. He said all of the people are very open and friendly, however, he did feel a bit in Barcelona. Still he also said they are much closed off to people there who do not speak Catalan and may treat you different. It was a pleasure talking with Everest, however, we eventually left and split ways. I met up with some friends in the plaza mayor for a bit and then headed home for bed. I really am enjoying my time here with the other Samford students. I honestly was hesitant at first because I did not want to get stuck in the "Samford bubble in Spain." However, I have made so many new friends that I did not have before and I cannot wait to hang out with them back at school too! FIESTAS FIESTAS!

Today, then was our last full day in Madrid. I got up early and did some shopping! (Thank you Mommy and Daddy! Don't worry I tried not to go too crazy). Still that was fun, people always notice here how "independent" I am because I love to go shopping by myself, haha. Anyways, after shopping I came back home for a very nice lunch. I had a fried egg, which I do not eat very often and it was actually SO good. It was a perfect amount of food too with the egg, a salad and a soup. Normally I'm stuffed. I then rested a little bit and headed over to soak up the last bit of Retiro park with some ice cream before heading to the BIG GAME! We met up with our friends to watch La Roja play on big screens in the stadium parking lot. It was a BLAST! I really wanted to paint my face but I did not know where to buy paint, and the place Madre recommended only had make-up. There really is not "Wal-Mart" equivalent here. How do they live? I have great pictures from the game, but alas, my cord is packed in a place that is unknown to me right now. Anyways, the game, as far as I know we don't really have anything like that in the US to watch the game on. It just does not seem like as big of a deal? Am I wrong? Here, however, we were in a sea of Red and Yellow, celebrating and cheering together. Granted, we did join in the cheer, "YO SOY ESPAÑOL, ESPAÑOL, ESPAÑOL!" hoping people MIGHT believe it was true. (Someone did think I was Spanish while I was shopping today! YAY!). It was so fun to watch the game with real Spaniards, as well as just have the opportunity to be here during such an exciting time and to experience a WIN! Soccer is a HUGE deal here and the atmosphere was just a lot of fun. We visited for a while after the game and then had to say goodbye to our new amigos :(. We were so excited too to get a hug not just besos (which you think it would be the opposite, lol). A great part of the night as well, on the way home on the metro, someone asked us the score of the game (2-0) and it was very loud so it took a few times to understand what he was saying. (Keep in mind we are in our Roja gear). The guy next to him then said, they are not Spanish, why are you asking them. We then made a comment about how we knew what he was saying and he kind of laughed at us, a bit surprised, and proceeded to have a lengthy conversation on the way home. He told me I spoke very well :) (eat that oral exam!). Anyways, afterwards I came home for dinner with Madre (Yes at midnight-my schedule will be so messed up).

No comments:

Post a Comment