After Italica we made about at 20 minute stop in the Plaza de España. It was absolutely gorgeous. We were told to make note of the stairs that we saw and see if we recognized them. Apparently they were used in Star Wars Episode II! WOOO! I really want to watch it now and see if I see them. I wish we could have spent more time there, but we were running behind. Seriously these past few days have been like speed Spain.
After Italica and the plaza, we went to the Castello of Sevilla. This was another phenomenal castle. It was built by a king who had his wife locked in a tower for her entire life, while he lived with his lover Maria Padilla (de Sevila!). He built the Castello in honor of Maria. It again, was absolutely gorgeous. I know pictures cannot capture these incredible places, so you will all just have to go there someday. This castle was neat, as over the years it had passed through Christian and Muslim hands and hand influences from both people. After the castle, we headed over to the cathedral. This was very neat for several reasons: of course it was absolutely beautiful, it holds the tomb of Christopher Columbus (although that is debated with another church in Portugal), and it is the oldest gothic cathedral in the world! We also climbed 37 fights to the top of the tower and we were even up there when the clock struck 1:30 to hear the bells chime (though we think it came from the level above it). After the cathedral we were all EXHAUSTED and had free time.
A few of us went for lunch and I enjoyed paella Valencia (with chicken). My feet were so thankful for some rest. We finally made our way back home and decided to take a little break. As much as I wanted to explore that afternoon I have to say that we did not do much. Everyone was so worn out and I knew I would only be going somewhere just to go. So we wandered to get Erin a new suitcase (she had accidentally grabbed one without wheels…can you say back pain?), spent some time in the café, and took a good long shower before dinnertime. The dinner that night was again wonderful with a salad, fish, and rice pudding for dessert. After dinner we went to a FLAMENCO SHOW! It was beautiful. Trying to tune out some people that did not appreciate the art as much, I leaned forward, entranced all night. The costumes were beautiful, as were the dances and the music. There was one mane who was truly incredible. I have no idea how he moved his feet so quickly. Unfortunately my pictures did not turn out as well as I would’ve hoped; still the experience was wonderful (I also was able to sport my new heels at the show). Afterwards, we walked back to our hotel, passing the famous bullring of Sevilla, and hoped to try some “vino naranja”- organge wine- that we had seen advertised. However, it was close to midnight and everything was closing. Weird. No worries though, I came back for a great night of sleep to prepare for the big day in Gibraltar!
No comments:
Post a Comment