Monday, June 7, 2010

Vino Tinte

Nothing too exciting today. We changed buildings for class. I really like the set up of our classroom now. It is much cooler and has a beautiful window that opens up to the street. The only problem, however, is that it is very noisy in the morning and sometimes difficult to hear (and when someone is speaking to you in Spanish you want to hear everything). Still, if we close the windows we will probably die of heat stroke, so for two weeks, I can deal. We talked about food in our different cultures today, explaining what is typical where we live (sweet tea and BBQ are what I came up with for TN). After class I went on a stamp mission and found a lovely little pasteleria that I would like to return to for a sweet treat some day. A very nice man in a bank helped us find the kiosk we were looking for. He got out of his chair and took us to the road and everything. I very much appreciated the extra effort he put into that for us because we found it very easily. I then explored Sol a little bit, searching for a few things. After that, I came back home and passed out. I was so tired today. After a little nap I ate some lunch, and tried to read a little as well as work on my homework. After homework we went to the Copa de Bienvenidos! (Welcome drink) This is what we went to our first Monday in town and we found out they do it every Monday! You can get one free thing. I had never head red wine before so I decided to try some. "Vino tinte." I actually liked it a lot better than the white wine I have had before. However, I don't know what kind it was. While at the copa some girls and I planned out a very full schedule for the next two weeks of everything we want to do before we leave. I'm so excited. I know I need to have a plan, otherwise I will sit around all afternoon like I did today. After the copa, some of us went to a place to get tapas! One of the ladies that had taught at Samford took us there (a local Spaniard) so we knew it would be good. There were literally one hundred things to choose from! Everything from vegetables, cheese, meat (pork, sausage, salmon, etc) and any combination. Each one came on some sort of toasted bread. I had one with just toasted bread and salami, and another with queso (brie) con lomo curado. I'm pretty sure that means pork loin. Regardless, it was SO good. The bread was fabulous and flaky, and the cheese was melted on top of the meat. You ordered and then just stood and ate while you talked. It was really neat and my first true tapas experience. After tapas we came back for dinner, and a little more homework. Erin and I also spent an hour or so reminiscing over our lives through facebook, sharing pictures and stories. Madre walked in on her and I laughing and singing Jason Mraz. Priceless. Anyways, I am wiped. There is something about eating at 10:30 at night that makes me feel exhausted afterwards. Still, some of our friends came over to our amazing ice cream place again so we visited with them for a while. I actually met them in my pajamas. Going out in public in my pajamas is probably one of my favorite things to do (just for the fact that it's not what you are supposed to do). And now, I am off to bed. Hasta mañana que descansas! (What Madre tells me every night before I go to bed.) Something along the lines of, "Until tomorrow when you have rested" Sorry I don't have any new pictures right now!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet tea and BBQ were a good choice to represent TN...except that we don't serve sweet tea at Loews! The Nashville Loews. What?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They got Yankees runnin that place er wut?

    ReplyDelete