Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dream Team

So it is 3:48 am here but I know I won't be able to bog this weekend in Barcelona and I don't want to get too behind! Today was, clearly a great day. Class was a lot of fun. We practiced using subjunctive by having people give us advice about a "situation" we were in (written on the board behind our heads) and we had to guess the situation. Mine was that I was sun bathing in my pool drinking a mojito. Yes, the word mojito was used in class. We are not at Samford, haha. This was a lot of fun. After class, I came back for a siesta and some homework. Then, some of us met up to go to the Museo de Traje, or the "fashion museum." Now, the museum is in the Ciudad Universitaria area. Why we have never been to this exit is behind my mind. I'm thinking about transferring to the University of Madrid. There were so many people our age there! We want to go back and just hang out at a cafe or something and hope someone talks to us, haha. Madre actually told me that they have an "inter-cambio" day where students from all over just kind of congregate, hoping to learn the languages they want from people studying from those countries! What I fabulous idea to help me find beautiful Spanish men... I mean practice my Spanish ;). Anyways, back to the museo. I was really excited for this as I was expecting to see a lot of the traditional Spanish attire that most people attribute to Spain. However, I was surprised to see how much influence France had on Spanish clothing. There were a few of the traditional outfits seen on tourist trinkets, however, more of the European large dresses as seen in "Las Meninas." However the museum spanned from about the 1800's to now. It was really neat to see how the styles have evolved, as well as the different influences from other cultures. The Spanish dress during the 20's for instance, was almost identical to that of the United States. I was almost disappointed, haha. Still, we enjoyed ourselves, especially with the finale of the museum which involved our very own unofficial catwalk. After the museum, we came back for a little more rest, homework, and a fabulous dinner. By the way... I now eat tomatoes. They are still not my favorite, but I know they are good for me and I just cannot say no. I actually ate Erin's tonight too because she just cannot even eat them and I would hate to have them thrown away. We were super pumped about tonight as we were going to La Kapital! This is a 7 story discoteca in Madrid! Seven stories! And we were told that Thursday is ladies' night so we could get in free. Sweet! So we got ourselves ready to hit the town. First off, we got there at 11 and they were not open yet. Yeah, Spain doesn't get hoppin until about 1 or 2 in the morning. So we waited about 30 minutes and waited for more friends to come too. We waited in McDonalds. Erin had to drag me in, as I have a hard time going to Mickey D's in Spain. There is just something wrong with that. However, it was neat to see the differences. For instance, they serve beer and the portions are SO much smaller. Interesante no? Anyways we waited and finally our friends arrived so we wen to hit the club. However, when we got there... it was going to cost 15 euros! No way Jose. We asked when it was free and they said we had to have a flyer. So when someone tells you something is free... always ask for the catch. Still, we were ready for some dancing so we went to Sol. We had no idea where to go so we took up every offer of people in the street as they showed us to different clubs all over. Erin, Emily, Courtney and I tried out several different places to dance. We had a blast, even though there were not a whole lot of people out quite yet. Then Emily and Courtney left around 1:15 to catch the Metro, but Erin and I were not quite ready to leave yet. We were going to leave around 2 so as not to be exhausted for Barcelona tomorrow. HA! Anyways Erin had been to a pub with a great dance floor. As we were trying to find it, a very nice guy from Peru actually came up asking us to take an offer and showed us where it was. It had a huge dance floor downstairs! Exactly what I had been waiting for (minus the American music, but hey I just want to dance). Anyways... we were dancing and saw an area we decided to start moving closer to. We started talking with some guys from London. It turns out that they were in Spain for a "stag" party, the British version of a bachelor party. There were 26 of them. Twenty-six, ladies, that's right. Anyways, they were all very nice and we had a fabulous time. They may not have been Spanish, but at least they were European. Of course I kept trying to get us to leave, but we would always say one more song. Finally I just stopped worrying a little and we ended up leaving around 3:00. Erin's new friend did not want her to go but I knew I would hate myself and her in the morning if we did not get to bed. So we headed out to catch our bus. Unfortunately, however, we were a little turned around on our street. I asked some people waiting at the bus stop which way to Cibeles (where we catch our bus). They pointed and we continued walking. Thankfully, a man at the stop came after us and informed us that the station we had asked at goes to Cibeles. Thank you! We would've walked so far. I had misunderstood the other people and he had heard us talking and didn't want us to have to walk the whole way. He was very nice and I was able to practice some Spanish while we all waited for the bus. I truly do love the language. We then caught our bus home and I am so ready to call it a night. Still, Erin and I realized that we truly are a dream team. She makes me stay out later than I normally would and have fun, and I make her come home eventually. I had a blast tonight just being me and dancing like a fool as always (and I'm not going to lie, having the attention of several British men was not half bad either) I cannot wait for Barcelona tomorrow! Viva España!

No comments:

Post a Comment