Although at first glance this may not be yours or my cup of tea, after hearing more of the symbolism behind the picture... I'm really love it as I often think of my life in metaphors. I may not have this history completely accurate (as it was told to me in Spanish, so please comment and correct me if you know I'm wrong). However, what I understood is that Hitler was testing bombs and Germany and Italy both made an aerial attack on Guernica. The city was destroyed, and many who were not killed in the bombing, died later as the fog and dust did not settle for about three days. There was a video playing in the museum that was horrifying. the picture is very symbolic. There are four woman pictured and one man. The one man is a soldier, being stomped on by a horse. The horse represents the city. It has it's tongue pointed straight out, meaning "We will not be silenced. This will not be forgotten." (things around those lines). The women in the picture, represent the fact that the lives lost were those of the innocent. This is also the reason that one of the women is holding a dead child in her arms. Her tongue is the same way as the horses, and her eyes are faced up, as to ask "Why did this happen?" There is also a bull in the picture, and to be honest I don't remember what that means. The light, however, represents the sun. I has a light-bulb, however, because the dust was so thick you could not see the sun, therefore a light-bulb made it strong. Our teacher also said it was common to show signs of this modern technology in paintings as it was very new. My favorite part of the painting, however, is the small... faint flower in the center. This is a sign of hope. Amidst the agony, horror, terror, and suffering found in this strategically black and white painting... there still remains hope. Goosebumps? Me too. Apparently there is also an interpretation that it is a "nacimiento" or a depiction of Jesus' birth. The woman with the baby, obviously Mary and the face coming through the window with the candle is the angel Gabriel. Personally, I do not see this depiction but... to each his own. Anyways, new appreciation for Picasso. We wandered the museum for a little while longer. I saw some Miró and Dahli as well. Miró is very simple and perhaps if I knew the symbolism I would like it but I'm not a huge fan. Dahli is very talented, but his works are very strange. I'm sure he would've been a very interesting person to meet. After the museum, I headed back to Diego De Leon, where we live and I went to get some ice cream and study. I stayed there until I could not study due to sheer exhaustion, came back, took a little snooze, ate some dinner, and finished up my homework, ready for exams tomorrow! One thing I wanted to not before I go is just a cute little thing about Madre. I really want her to know how much I appreciate the fact that she does EVERYTHING for us, so I always say "muchas gracias" as opposed to "gracias." However, I think in Spain, muchas gracias is rarely used, as she has now started saying "mucho de nada" and kind of chuckles in a cute little way. Mucho de nada does not really make sense. Just a funny thought to share. I cannot believe it's 12:30 AM on my 2nd Friday in Madrid. This week has FLOWN by! Hasta luego!
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Guernica
7:15 AM: I'm working on my very short homework I completely for got about until about 2 AM the night before. Rena walks in... "Nikki didn't come home last night..." WHAT? Yes, Erin and I returned late last night and Nikki, who also lives with us was with another friend when we had split ways. Panicked, Erin and I did not know what to do. What were we going to tell Madre! What if something happened to her? Erin had her phone b/c Nikki's purse was not big enough for it. All we could do for the moment was wait... Thankfully at about 8:00 we hear the buzzer. Nikki was safe and sound. She said she did not have her keys and did not want to wake us up last night so she stayed with a friend. But REALLY she met a guy last night and it was "un flechazo" (everyone remember your vocab?) and never went to sleep. I still can't believe that happened but truly I'm just glad she was safe. Anyways, in school today we started watching a Spanish film called Volver. (Though none of us were thrilled to be there as EVERY other school was out due to the holiday of Corpus Cristi. O pues). It is staring Penelope Cruz and it is filmed mostly MADRID! We have not finished it yet and I don't want to spoil anything but it is pretty interesting so check it out if you can. I'm sure there will be more thoughts on that tomorrow. After school consisted of a quick sandwich and 2 hours of hard core sleeping, followed by a trip to the Museo Del Reina Sofia. This is the modern art museum. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of modern art as far as it's aesthetic appeal to me, however, I knew that there were a lot of Picasso works in the museum and regardless of whether or not you like him... he's kind of a big deal. The museum actually was first a hospital so half of it is older and beautiful, and then there is an addition that has been put on since it has become the museum with that steel, funky appearance. It's really a very neat blend. We began all together with Guernica, probably Picasso's most famous work.

Although at first glance this may not be yours or my cup of tea, after hearing more of the symbolism behind the picture... I'm really love it as I often think of my life in metaphors. I may not have this history completely accurate (as it was told to me in Spanish, so please comment and correct me if you know I'm wrong). However, what I understood is that Hitler was testing bombs and Germany and Italy both made an aerial attack on Guernica. The city was destroyed, and many who were not killed in the bombing, died later as the fog and dust did not settle for about three days. There was a video playing in the museum that was horrifying. the picture is very symbolic. There are four woman pictured and one man. The one man is a soldier, being stomped on by a horse. The horse represents the city. It has it's tongue pointed straight out, meaning "We will not be silenced. This will not be forgotten." (things around those lines). The women in the picture, represent the fact that the lives lost were those of the innocent. This is also the reason that one of the women is holding a dead child in her arms. Her tongue is the same way as the horses, and her eyes are faced up, as to ask "Why did this happen?" There is also a bull in the picture, and to be honest I don't remember what that means. The light, however, represents the sun. I has a light-bulb, however, because the dust was so thick you could not see the sun, therefore a light-bulb made it strong. Our teacher also said it was common to show signs of this modern technology in paintings as it was very new. My favorite part of the painting, however, is the small... faint flower in the center. This is a sign of hope. Amidst the agony, horror, terror, and suffering found in this strategically black and white painting... there still remains hope. Goosebumps? Me too. Apparently there is also an interpretation that it is a "nacimiento" or a depiction of Jesus' birth. The woman with the baby, obviously Mary and the face coming through the window with the candle is the angel Gabriel. Personally, I do not see this depiction but... to each his own. Anyways, new appreciation for Picasso. We wandered the museum for a little while longer. I saw some Miró and Dahli as well. Miró is very simple and perhaps if I knew the symbolism I would like it but I'm not a huge fan. Dahli is very talented, but his works are very strange. I'm sure he would've been a very interesting person to meet. After the museum, I headed back to Diego De Leon, where we live and I went to get some ice cream and study. I stayed there until I could not study due to sheer exhaustion, came back, took a little snooze, ate some dinner, and finished up my homework, ready for exams tomorrow! One thing I wanted to not before I go is just a cute little thing about Madre. I really want her to know how much I appreciate the fact that she does EVERYTHING for us, so I always say "muchas gracias" as opposed to "gracias." However, I think in Spain, muchas gracias is rarely used, as she has now started saying "mucho de nada" and kind of chuckles in a cute little way. Mucho de nada does not really make sense. Just a funny thought to share. I cannot believe it's 12:30 AM on my 2nd Friday in Madrid. This week has FLOWN by! Hasta luego!
Although at first glance this may not be yours or my cup of tea, after hearing more of the symbolism behind the picture... I'm really love it as I often think of my life in metaphors. I may not have this history completely accurate (as it was told to me in Spanish, so please comment and correct me if you know I'm wrong). However, what I understood is that Hitler was testing bombs and Germany and Italy both made an aerial attack on Guernica. The city was destroyed, and many who were not killed in the bombing, died later as the fog and dust did not settle for about three days. There was a video playing in the museum that was horrifying. the picture is very symbolic. There are four woman pictured and one man. The one man is a soldier, being stomped on by a horse. The horse represents the city. It has it's tongue pointed straight out, meaning "We will not be silenced. This will not be forgotten." (things around those lines). The women in the picture, represent the fact that the lives lost were those of the innocent. This is also the reason that one of the women is holding a dead child in her arms. Her tongue is the same way as the horses, and her eyes are faced up, as to ask "Why did this happen?" There is also a bull in the picture, and to be honest I don't remember what that means. The light, however, represents the sun. I has a light-bulb, however, because the dust was so thick you could not see the sun, therefore a light-bulb made it strong. Our teacher also said it was common to show signs of this modern technology in paintings as it was very new. My favorite part of the painting, however, is the small... faint flower in the center. This is a sign of hope. Amidst the agony, horror, terror, and suffering found in this strategically black and white painting... there still remains hope. Goosebumps? Me too. Apparently there is also an interpretation that it is a "nacimiento" or a depiction of Jesus' birth. The woman with the baby, obviously Mary and the face coming through the window with the candle is the angel Gabriel. Personally, I do not see this depiction but... to each his own. Anyways, new appreciation for Picasso. We wandered the museum for a little while longer. I saw some Miró and Dahli as well. Miró is very simple and perhaps if I knew the symbolism I would like it but I'm not a huge fan. Dahli is very talented, but his works are very strange. I'm sure he would've been a very interesting person to meet. After the museum, I headed back to Diego De Leon, where we live and I went to get some ice cream and study. I stayed there until I could not study due to sheer exhaustion, came back, took a little snooze, ate some dinner, and finished up my homework, ready for exams tomorrow! One thing I wanted to not before I go is just a cute little thing about Madre. I really want her to know how much I appreciate the fact that she does EVERYTHING for us, so I always say "muchas gracias" as opposed to "gracias." However, I think in Spain, muchas gracias is rarely used, as she has now started saying "mucho de nada" and kind of chuckles in a cute little way. Mucho de nada does not really make sense. Just a funny thought to share. I cannot believe it's 12:30 AM on my 2nd Friday in Madrid. This week has FLOWN by! Hasta luego!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment