Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Mucho Calor
So, it is really hot in Madrid. It is absolutely beautiful, but from the hours of about 11:00-7:00 it is a bit miserable. Most places do not have air conditioning, like our school, so it can be a bit uncomfortable at times. I was using my computer in our house and my hands were sweating. Still, at night the temperature is perfect. Today classes were wonderful as always, and in culture we went to the Museo de Arqueología. It was fascinating. We were able to see artifacts found from the first people to come to Spain, the Iberians, as well as Romans, and another people that I don't remember, but from Germany somewhere from what I understood. What blew me away was the age of many of these dating back to BC, as well as the intricacy of some of the findings, especially the jewelry! There were bracelets with tiny flowers on them. Not just drawn, but each individual leave sticking up on the bracelet. There were also glass pots that were beautiful. I would love to know how long it took people to make these artifacts, and many cases how and what materials were used. We then had more group meetings and mine met in the park again (in the shade). We have a few more assignments for next week, as well as places to research for TOLEDO! I'm so excited about Toledo. From what I understand it is absolutely beautiful, and is known for it's gold. After that I came back with a girl to our apartment and we booked our flights for Barcelona! I'm super excited about our free weekend now that I have everything worked out. I'm a little nervous about the whole airport thing without an adult, but I know we will do great! Sadly I spent most of the afternoon indoors. I had thought a group was going to go to another museum but nobody did. Still, I did some homework to be somewhat productive, and took a little snooze. I then ate dinner, and headed out to Sol to meet a few girl to have a drink and enjoy the plaza. We were originally going for wine, however, I got there late and apparently there was a nice couple from California who said that the wine was not very good and overpriced, so we went with Sangria. The weather is so great at night and we just enjoyed the Plaza Mayor tonight. What I am most excited about right now, is tomorrow night. Erin, and the two other girls in our house right now had been talking about taking our Madre out for dinner. Last night I asked her if it would be alright if we took her out, and of course she said "Oh no no, that's ok." I told her we wanted to say thank you and she could think about the idea a little, but really she did not have a choice. She put up a good fight, but I could tell she was excited :). Actually before we began plotting I asked her if she had a favorite restaurant, and she said La Casa Mingo, which is a place I have been wanting to go anyways. Today I had asked her again if she had any recommendations as she would know better, however, she made the point that she goes from home, to work, to home, with the occasional trip to the grocery store right below our apartment. She said that we have seen more of Madrid in a week than she has seen in a very long time. Of course the entire times she is saying "Whatever you want, wherever you want! We will do what you want to do!" Therefore, we all decided today to go to La Casa Mingo! We told her today and she was excited, as she has not been there in about twenty years she thought; since her daughter was very little. I'm really looking forward to that treat tomorrow. Also, someone called to ask Carmen about volunteering at something, but she was not home. Madre told me I could maybe go with her sometime and that would be good practice for me. That is definitely something I would love to do so I am very excited! Random not of interest to end the night... the city of Madrid is so clean. They actually have hired people that clean the streets. I don't know how often but they use like water hoses and everything. Interesting. No wonder the city seems so safe and beautiful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment