Sunday, June 6, 2010

¿Estáis sola o con tus novios?

So I went to the Rastro again today (flea market). My roommate wanted me to go with her, as she did not go last week. However, she had a late night last night and when I got up, I had a feeling she would not. Still, I decided to go again and browse some more as I was up anyway. I really enjoy the Rastro. There is so much to look at and it is a great opportunity to talk Spanish with the vendors. However, it is a bit overwhelming as there is SO much there. Alas, I came home with nothing today. Probably for the best. After a rest, I had lunch with Madre. She showed me a magazine with a lot of political figures. I asked her if she liked the King and she said no, and that most people don't. From what I understood he and his children spend money all the time, and a lot of money is spent under the table and money does not go to the people of Spain. Also, almost every person she mentioned had been married, then separated, and usually again remarried. I told her that this would most likely not happen in the US as that greatly affects the way people feel about and trust the president. After this, I headed back out around 3:30. We had been asked to volunteer with a missionary here that graduated from Samford. Originally there was going to be a concert and we were just going to hand out pamphlets for the church, however, the concert was cancelled due to a huge triathelon. Where we went today then is called El Casa De Camp, it is a beautiful area with country side, a lake, some restaurants, and a pool. There is a large group of immigrants from Ecuador that congregate in the park every Saturday and Sunday. We were just asked to talk to them, see what their lives are like, and if they were struggling, or the opportunity arose we could give them the information about the church. They thought it would be great for the people, as well as for us to practice our Spanish. I had no idea what to expect. When we arrived, there was loud music playing, and probably 1,000 people selling things, as well as children running all over and playing. It looked like one giant party. Apparently it is actually illegal for them to be vending in the part, however, the police have let it slide for some reason. I think it is probably because they are mostly selling back and for to each other in their community they have built. Honestly it looked like one big party. Still, I know that many of them do not have jobs, as unemployment is high here right now, and if they do have a job it probably does not pay well. Walking around as the only Americans was a bit intimidating. We kind of clustered together for a while, then started to branch off. Trying to think of an ice breaker to talk to someone, I decided to buy a lemonade, as it was very hot anyways. I tried to talk to the lady at the stand, however, she did not seem interested in talking. I'm sure she just wanted to sell as many drinks as possible, so I thanked her and moved on. Then, we found the children in this AWESOME looking rope/trampoline looking game/structure. Of course, I wanted to play with the children much more and I thought maybe that could start a conversation with someone. We stood their awkwardly for a while looking for a good window. A man came by asking if we wanted to buy candy. We said no thank you, an then he asked, ¿Estáis sola o con tus novios?- translation "Are you alone or with your boyfriends?" We replied, we're with a group, haha. After a few more minutes of plotting, my friend and I asked some children if they could show us how to play. They were precious. There were two girls with matching out fits that would show us where to go next and what we should do. They were five years old. I know one of them was named Michelle, however, I did not get the name of the other. The ropes were set up almost like a horizontal spider web. There were then patches of black fabric sporadically that you could stand inside. I was standing with one of the little girls watching another little boy count and jump and land on his bottom. I asked the little girl if she wanted to try and we jumped and landed together. Yes it was SO much fun. Then, all three of (my friend, the girls, and the boy) were all in different black spots (he was probably 8 years old). I asked him if we could all jump and land together. "Vale" he said (I love it). So we all jumped together and landed. Then, we did it a few more times, all counting down together in Spanish. Then I suggested that we all change spots. "Vale." Again we jumped and landed. I had so much fun talking with the children. I would ask them if I should be scared, of if they were scared, talk about how brave they were, how hot it was outside, if they were having fun and how I was tired, but they could play forever. I really wanted to do something with children while I was here so I was very thankful for this experience. After we met back together a few groups were actually able to have some conversations with some couples and one lady that they said went really well. I know it was great Spanish practice for us, and I hope that maybe now a few of the people in that group at least felt some trust towards us, and now have some information of a place to get help and know that they have hope and are not alone.
While we were in the area, my madre had told me about a cable car ride that you can see most of Madrid from called the Teleférico. We knew it was nearby, but a pretty good walk to get there. Still, we decided to go for it and started walking. There were signs to follow (in which the arrows were painted over of course) so it took us a while to get our bearings. It was definitely a hike to get there. We probably walked a mile and a half. Still, we finally made it and the view was definitely worth it. The Casa De Campo was so much bigger than I thought! There was beautiful forest and trails, benches and tables, and fields. It would be a great place for camping or a picnic. We could also see the palace, cathedrals, the mountains, an amusement park, and a lot of Madrid. I'm glad I can check that off of my list of things to do before I leave. We then walked some more through a beautiful park to get the Metro station. After all day in my Sperry's (which I really only wore b/c I was excited this morning when I remembered I brought them) my feet and legs felt like lead. I came home, rinsed my feet a little in the sink and collapsed in my bed for an hour. Afterwards, I finished homework, ate some dinner and now I'm headed for bed. For homework I had to write a summary of Volver, the movie we watched. It probably only needed to be a page... mine is 4. As you all know, I have a hard time summarizing... I think everything is important. Haha. Tengan buen días todos!


No comments:

Post a Comment