Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cinco Minutos Sin Amigos


Well last night was an adventure. We rode the metro over to some of our guy friends' stop as their new metro passes would not work until the morning. They live in a very residential area, but had heard music and seen lights of a ride so we headed that way. Wow. It was a HUGE rock concert with a traveling fair/carnival. It was definitely the hard rockers of Spain gathered together and it was definitely not a tourist thing. It was so fun! We listened to the music a little bit, and then went to scope out the rides. However, all of the girls but me were in dresses that were not suitable for the rides they had there, so we decided we would come back during the week better prepared. It was funny to see the difference in strictness of rules on the rides at the fair. There was one where normally everyone would have to be seated, as it was spinning, but kids were crawling all over the place. The boys were a LITTLE excited. So, we decided to see if we could find a local place to go dancing. We saw some light and large men outside a building and decided to check it out. When we got in, it was a really nice club/bar. Very classy. It was around 1:00, but there were not many people there but they assured us they would come. However, around 1:45, no one was really there still and the metro had closed, so we didn't want to stay around too late as we had not figured out the bus system yet and did not want to be out forever. We tried the metro station just to check, but nope, definitely closed. We then tried to ask a lady if she could explain how the buses work, but we were still confused. We ended up just calling a taxi, although we asked him about the buses and we think we know what to do next time. It baffles me that in a city like Madrid where 2:00 in the morning is early, that the Metro closes at 1:30. Crazy. The busses, however, do run in their place until about 4 from what we understand. Today was a wonderful day! I woke up early this morning to meet some girls at El Rostro. The Rostro is a HUGE flea market in the Latino district of Madrid. They had just about everything you could POSSIBLY imagine. It was wonderful, and a bit overwhelming. Ladies, can I just say... scarves...2 Euros...2 Euros! Anyways, I had a lot of fun there, but we left around 10:30 as by then it is ridiculously crowded and it was very hot. I am going back with another group, however, next week. Afterwards, I came back to the house and took a bit of a snooze, and then took a shower and ate a little breakfast. Afterwards, I caught up on my pictures, read a little and Facebook stalked, and then it was time for lunch around 3:30. Now, for lunch... I was very brave. I ate boccarones. These are some sort of small fish (about 3 inches in length). We saw them being cut... heads off... blood coming out, last night and were a bit worried. Still, I wanted to embrace the culture, so I told her I would definitely try some, but not to cook a lot in case I didn't like them. The heads were not on when you ate them, and they were fried in a flour batter like most things here. I also had some sort of things similar to fish sticks that I did not like very much. The boccarones, however, were surprisingly good. You had to cut the tail off, but there was just a little meat and they really were not that strong, as I had expected. My Madre said that some people don't eat the little back bones, but you can because it is very small and good for calcium. What an adventure! After lunch, I had a great time talking with my Madre and her 14 year old. He was so sweet, and indulged in his aunt's desires for him to learn new English words from me. It was great practice for me, making connections between Spanish and English, and learning words from them, and explaining my words in English and Spanish. His English really was very good. It was fun to talk with him about his sports and video games (the teacher in me totally came out a few times too and it was so fun!). I was trying to think of something funny or phrases that 14 year olds in the States might say, but all I could come up with were "cool" and "your mom" jokes. Yes, I explained "your mom" jokes to them, it was quite funny. Time flew and suddenly it was time to meet some chicas across town for church. We went to the same church that we went to the first Sunday we were in Madrid (I cannot believe it has been a week). I still had a hard time understanding the message, however, I did hear a lot about having ears to hear, and something about having good intentions, and also about how God heals broken relationships. I did at least bring my English Bible this time to know what the passage said. After church we talked with some of the guys that we had met at the young adult group meeting during the week and we went to a local cafe with them for smoothies. It is customary here that when greeted (usually at first meeting, and definitely if you have met more than once) to give "besos" or kisses. They do one kiss on each side. You don't really kiss the cheeks most of the time... but your cheeks definitely touch and there is always the little kissy noise. It's quite a site to see the boys go around and greet all of us. I'm sure my face has probably been red at least once. In the Spanish culture, men who are very close may do this as well, but a handshake is definitely sufficient and is probably more common with older generations. It's so sweet when the little older ladies at the church greet us with besos :) Anyways, Marcos, David, and Nehin. They were so sweet and it is so great to talk to them and practice, as well as learn about their culture and just themselves as people as we become friends with people around our age in Spain (about 16-23). YAY! One of them even paid for all of our drinks! They taught us some new vocab words, like "freaky" in Spanish, is "freaky!" Que freaky no? Haha, we thought that was funny. Also, they explained to us just something funny that they do with their friends say if one does something "embarassing" or "awkward" whatever, they have "cinco minutos sin amigos" = five minutes without friends. They all jokingly just turn their backs, etc. Only joking of course. They were so funny. I tried to explain that I may say "friendship terminated" with my friends jokingly as well. The girls had also already taught them the awkward turtle and that was funny. They also claim to be Brittany Spears' number one fans! I love it! I can't wait to hang out with them again. It is also nice because if we do not know a word in Spanish, they speak English fairly well to where they can use both languages to explain. Although Emily and I, my new friend from Auburn on the trip, could not stop laughing because... for some reason lately I have been using a ridiculous amount of Spanglish.. usually when I get frustrated and do not know the word in Spanish or I'm just being lazy. For example... the other day we were dying about me saying "I creo that mi hermano would like algo de El Rostro." Now the two of us cannot seem to look at each other without laughing. We have very similar personalities and I love it! Yay new friends! Then I came back to my favorite dinner at home... TORTILLAS also with friend cucumbers (or something like it). Then, Erin and I met Logan and JT at our favorite Helado (ice cream) place right down the street. I did not get anything as I have been eating a lot and I need to save money, however, it was a great visit and a wonderful close to the night. I promise I tried to put pictures on here tonight, but it was taking forever, so if you want to see pictures I have put most of them up to this point on my facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1506810098.
I'm ready for week two! Vamos!

"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."- Luke 2:9
"But his mother treasured up all these things in her heard."- Luke 2:51

I love these verses, because I feel like I have so much that I treasure in my heart, not my "head." Just wanted to share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment