Hola todos! Just a day just an ordinary day (Vanessa Carlton anyone?). Today was another day of classes (I thought it was Wed all day because we went to the school for orientation on Sunday). The grammar class flew by and I was definitely really feeling the fact that my last class was 2 years ago, but I'm glad we are reviewing first. The verb tenses are slowly coming back to me. For homework we have to write a story of our own or one we know using preterite and imperfect correctly (we translated Blanconieve- snow white- today in class). Let me just say I had a little too much fun telling the story of Clifford el perro grande y rojo. Then we had our culture class. I am always more sleepy in this class and really struggle to stay focused. Although today was much much better than yesterday (a huge water bottle helped). I also felt today was harder. We talked about geography and there are many words that I do not know. Thankfully (for me) I'm that girl everyone hates because she asks questions, even when there are only five minutes left in the class. My teacher is great about making sure that we understand. I feel really bad because we are all always tired for her class and we are very quiet. Still, I'm very excited about the class. Tomorrow, for example everyone is talking about a different region of Spain (it's our homework tonight which I have yet to start). Mine is Murcĺa. I can tell you more about it later... when I know myself... haha. Each week we also have to turn in a summary of an article from a newspaper here (current events). All four articles have to be on the same subject. Today I read the title of one that was talking about graffiti that said "Por una España blanca"- This translates as for a white Spain. It seems the issue of racism is everywhere. The group is referred to as neonazis in the article. Will we never learn? Why is it that we always jump to the conclusion that something different is bad? It may not be to the extent of people, but more or less we all do this in some way. I know I do a lot. Still, I cannot imagine walking through a city knowing that I'm not wanted there, and knowing the only reason is because of something I cannot change, and something that the Lord gave me to be seen as beautiful? I think I am going to do something along these lines for my topic as it is something that interests me. Again, I really am looking forward to our culture class. Afterwards, we met with our group leaders to talk about some of our assignments for Samford. My madre packed me a "bocadillo" which is basically a "sack lunch" of a ham and cheese sandwich and a ham and salami sandwich with an apple. The work is going to be a little bit more than I thought. Each weekend (except our free weekend) we go on a "excursión." We have three people to a group (and a leader) and we have topics that we split up and everyone researches a few topics or monuments from the place that we are going. Essentially we become the tour guides. It is part of "PBLs" (problem based learning) that are supposed to help us learn on our own. I think it will be great, and my group really seems to want to learn so I think they will do a good job preparing as well. After our meeting (in beautiful Retiro park). I took the Metro back (by myself, yes I'm so independent-don't worry everyone I will not do that at night, however, it is perfectly safe during the day). Still, it was nice to have a little alone time and I just strolled home, stopping in some shops I wanted to try on clothes in. Then I did homework for a while and waited for Erin to get back. She and I then met up with some other girls to go SHOPPING! Where we went was called Grand Via. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! There are many beautiful monuments near by, including the fountain depicting the Goddess Cybeles (I think she MIGHT have been an ADpi, because her chariot is pulled by lions ;) shout out to my sistas). Still, the roads were absolutely beautiful. Madrid is truly the most beautiful large city that I have EVER seen. Why can the United States not have prettier big cities? Really? We were also walking and someone was trying to text to someone in the US and one of the girls said you have to dial 001 first. The US would have country code 001. We laughed about that for a while. We walked around and had some gelato and fantas and found a fantastic store! The prices were fabulous as well as the clothes! Oh my goodness! I am actually going to go back probably because I had to leave a little early to meet another group. We met on the metro and headed over the the church that we went to the other Sunday. They were supposed to have the young adult prayer meeting tonight and we were invited so about six of us made our way over. When we got there all the lights were off and finally we found one young guy who was there for it too. However, everyone else was at home studying because they have exams these next few weeks. Still, two more came a little later and we just talked with them for about an hour. One, Carlos, was from Brazil. He was still a bit new to Spanish, even though it is very similar to Portuguese, so he was much easier to understand. He told us about a camp he worked at at home with music and theater and miming! He also does a cool sport ( I cannot remember the name) but it is a combination it sounded like of martial arts and gymnastics. The other guys were really nice too, but Carlos was very friendly and talkative. Several of my friends complimented me on my ability to speak fluently. I was so appreciative, as it has been a while since my classes. Still, I feel that just as in English I just say almost whatever comes to mind and it just comes out. I'm much better at speaking Spanish that writing (though I feel speaking is much more important). Still, I'm trying to focus more on using the correct verb tense now so I can practice. so I'm trying to slow down a bit. We had a lot of fun with them and we are going to try to get together with their group and our group when they are done with exams. I then came back to the apartment for hamburguesas! That's right we had hamburgers and french fries and soup tonight! It was SO good! We were very excited. Now I am just reflecting and going to work on learning a little about Murcia. However, before I finish I want to just share some observations I've made and/or learned. One thing I have noticed is that Spaniards seem to be a bit more energy conscious. Many of the lights in bathrooms are touch lights and go off eventually automatically (as well as the sinks). The same is true for the light outside our elevator (which is VERY small). Think of how much electricity as a city they save? Another weird observation is that many bathroom lights are located outside the bathroom itself...that I don't quite understand. We also learned yesterday that many people in Spain do not marry until they are around thirty, and it is totally normal for them to live with their parents until then. Apartments are expensive and it's hard for one person to be able to afford that, especially with school and if they don't have a spouse. One of our group members is 21 and engaged and Rosa could not believe she was engaged so young. Though this young age is definitely more common in the South in the US than in the North. Also, for the siestas, they usually only take like a 25-30 minute nap, not the whole 2 hours like I thought. Also, many in Madrid are too busy for a siesta, thought most of the stores do close from about 2:30-4. A shorter nap is better for you anyways. Also, in the Metro, as I think is similar to the subway in NY, there are people playing music. Sometimes they play a violin or something along with a recording, but today I gave a euro to a young man playing his acoustic guitar and singing a beautiful song. It made my Metro walk so much more pleasant. Though I lost my harsh, Metro, don't mess with me, face for a minute. I think those are the only things I wanted to point out. I'm still trying to put my finger on the "Spanish style" of clothing. But really, as with any large city there are many styles. I do notice a typical business man style though. They usually have a black or blue suit, with a striped top and a bright colored tie (many with pink and purple) These seem to be very popular. For girls, skinny jeans or tight pants of some kind with a loose shirt is also common. I'm in search for this combination for myself. Also, the people here are as BEAUTIFUL as the city. Truly, I am falling in love with Spain and Europe. I really believe that I could totally live here for a little while. I am also falling more in love with the language as it begins to come more easily to me. A final note... I just finished my bag of Dove chocolate that I started eating on Saturday... 4 days... that could be the longest a bag has lasted for me. I now have chocolate all over my Delta Sky Team shirt! Que lastima! Alright that's all for today friends! If you are reading these please feel free to comment, it would make me feel less like I'm talking to my computer. Maybe if I give you a question? How about what was your high/low (pow/wow- whatever terms you like) of the day? I would love to hear from you guys!
Encouragement: This is one of my new favorites "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Allison, mi hermana!! As one can read, Spain is treating you nicely so far. How is your family, chica? I'm so glad you are blogging about your time in Spain, I will read the posts! Thanks for the Scripture, it is highly encouraging. Hope you have a wonderful evening!
ReplyDeletePi Love :)
Pow: I have to pay $35 to replace a book at the library.
ReplyDeleteWow: Loews-Vanderbilt made me take a drug test today, which is promising for employment potential.
Wow2: Spain sounds incredible and Europe-y and fantastic and full of culture and awesome, and I am much enjoying hearing about it.
Keep it coming.